Virtualization support for Renesas RZ/G series released
Virtualization benefits for our clients:
- Cost reduction since you need less hardware modules
- Security and Safety through strict separation between operating systems and applications
- Real-Time capability despite Virtualization
Example for a Virtualization solution on the octa-core emCON-RZ/G1H:
- CPU 0, 1, 2: Linux Distribution with Qt and GPU support
- CPU 3, 4, 5: Another Linux Distribution
- CPU 6: FreeRTOS
- CPU 7: Bare-Metal application
What is Jailhouse?
The Jailhouse hypervisor is a Linux-based partitioning hypervisor. A hypervisor handles the simultaneous execution of multiple operating systems on a physical SoC. Operating systems can be an ordinary OS like Linux, an RTOS or any kind of bare-metal application. In the Jailhouse speak these operating systems are called inmates. Inmates are executed in so called cells. A partitioning hypervisor like Jailhouse manages the separation of different inmates by the use of these cells. Each cell is assigned exclusive access to certain CPUs and selected hardware devices.